5 Healthy Tips To Start 2012
1. DO ANYTHING & BE NICE TO YOURSELF ABOUT IT!
Below are some specifics to change your health lifestyle, but honestly, any health-conscious effort & structure is at least just that, AN EFFORT. As a Team Beachbody Coach, I have learned that not only am I best utilized to create effective & fun programs for my Workout Buddies, but just acknowledging the fact that they are moving forward by spending 45 minutes with me, is a great re-frame to highlight their progress. If it isn't a workout, having 3 pieces of raw fruits/ veggies (even in addition to the regular snacks you take in) is STILL PROGRESS. These little steps to progress are the exact bricks and mortar that we build towards large physical transformation. Not every effort has to be a huge proclamation or a 180 degree nutritional shift. Do anything! - Then literally acknowledge (say out loud to yourself or tell someone else) that little bit of progress, & then make another small declaration. If you backslide, that is good, it is an integral part of the "forward-moving" process. Backsliding is supposed to happen.
2. CHOOSE AN EVENT - Now if you ARE ready to make this a bit more interesting, select a specific event with a date. This could be anything from a 5k or triathlon, to a high school reunion or wedding. The key to this is a defined goal and a set deadline. By creating a time frame with a purpose, what once seemed like a never ending journey becomes an attainable and enjoyable goal. Have fun with this goal and advertise to yourself. You can even make a poster collage of this event with pictures that inspire or remind you of what you hope to accomplish or simply promise yourself a reward. As you prepare for this event the sacrifice, effort, and pain can be associated with the higher purpose or goal and this will increase the likelihood of success. As you succeed with this first event make sure and choose another and you'll find yourself in a life full of success and accomplishment.
3. FITNESS PLAN - Third, commit to a specific fitness plan (Beachbody Program) that will help you achieve the desired goal. For most of us it is too hard at the end of a long day to go out and exercise when we don't have a plan. By choosing and committing to a plan/program, we are likely to be more mentally prepared and will often push ourselves more than if we do just what we feel like doing that day. This plan can be a Beachbody video series, a plan from a book (Tony Horton & Chalene Johnson's books) or website,helpful tips from one of Beachbody's Celebrity trainers, or even a handheld phone application. Whatever plan you choose make sure that it is specific enough to write out your daily tasks for the month. This will help avoid hesitation or excuse making. If a workout is in the plan and you committed, just get it done. Of course be responsible and allow yourself proper time for rest and make sure your plan isn't so far beyond your present fitness level that it can lead to injury or burnout.
4. PEER SUPPORT- Fourth, enlist a friend. The buddy system and accountability work. Choose someone to take this challenge with. Share your goals and if possible a similar event and goal to work towards. Log your daily Workouts in Wowy, the Virtual Online Gym . This will help you track your success, and also, encourage you to push and motivate each other. You can use a written journal or Blog Online. I offer Free Coaching when you join my website. It's FREE!! Go to www.beachbodycoach.com/dcook
Each of these allows accountability and support in a fun way that exponentially increases our ability to continue forward with a plan.
5. NUTRITION PLAN - Fifth, develop a nutrition plan that is sustainable. Notice I did not use the word diet. I believe improving what we eat is much simpler than the torture that many endure under the various diets that are popular for a season. I believe as people become conscious of what goes into their body they will naturally choose those things that help them feel energetic if they are available. To improve nutrition I recommend Shakeology!! It's my healthiest meal of the day. To order your 30 day supply go to: www.shakeology.com/dcook **Order HD (Home Direct) for Free Shipping. With over 80 Super Foods,& only 140 Calories, you will feel the energy & lose weight, if you replace a meal per day. There's all kinds of great recipes for Shakeology, as well. I like mine in the Blender with ice cubes, Spring water, & Watermelon Cubes. So refreshing, it tastes like a Wendy's Frosty, but Shakeology has a low glycemic index!
Keep a 7 day food journal and observe the calories associated with the foods in their normal diet. There are many programs online (such as Beachbody's) and for phone applications that will help you do this. Then, and this is the key, I recommend choosing 10 items which are either low in nutrients and high in calories or foods that simply make you feel sluggish or ill and place them on your "Black list". This is a written list that you may choose to keep with you to help you consciously avoid foods that don't contribute to your sense of energy and well-being. Foods such as soda, excess alcohol or coffee, overeating, donuts, candy, or fast food can be placed on this list with a short written reminder of why we have chosen not to eat them. Then get any food on the black list out of your house. We then move to the "Green list" which is a list of lower calorie options or foods that consistently help you feel energetic and well. Write down your top 10 favorite and fill your refrigerator and pantry with these options. As you simply trade one for the other you will notice a difference in the way you feel and very likely a significant reduction in the mindless calories you take in.
***Join me for Free Coaching, & get healthy & fit this New Year. Join my website. It's FREE!! Go to: www.beachbodycoach.com/dcook